Summer season 2022 is probably going to be a superb one for journey and tourism within the US. The next 5 key tendencies are shaping the business, with implications for resort homeowners.
Leisure journey is booming
Income per out there room (RevPAR) within the US is outstripping not simply 2020 and 2021 ranges, however more and more 2019 ranges too. RevPAR outperformance is essentially pushed by charges. Accommodations aren’t fairly as full as they had been in 2019, however charges have elevated—the typical every day price (ADR) is round 15 p.c dearer now than it was in 2019.
Basically, individuals like to journey. We requested over 1,000 vacationers within the US what they’d do in the event that they received the lottery, and spending on journey ranked because the second highest selection (Exhibit 1).
This summer time, for a lot of, holidays will occur “it doesn’t matter what”
The survey additionally revealed that persons are involved about macro-economic elements reminiscent of inflation, however this isn’t sufficient to cease nearly 70 p.c of vacationers from taking their trip this summer time (Exhibit 2).
Fuel costs are excessive? Folks will go someplace nearer. Resort costs prohibitive? They’re going to hunt for a deal. Shoppers might discover methods to chop again, however these elements won’t destroy their vacation plans (Exhibit 3).
For the reason that survey was performed in June 2022, journey plans have been put in movement. AAA estimated that 42 million individuals could be travelling by automotive over the July 4 weekend, a brand new car-travel quantity report for this era—regardless of nationwide common fuel costs exceeding the $5 mark.
Moreover, resort occupancy, ADR, and RevPAR figures all exceeded the comparable week in 2019, and TSA checkpoint journey numbers confirmed a 15 p.c enhance for the Thursday and Friday earlier than the July 4 weekend, in comparison with 2019.
Visitors have extra lodging choices than ever
The traces have blurred between lodging classes, and vacationers are looking for resort, house share, all-inclusive, and open air/glamping choices.
Whereas 78 p.c of vacationers surveyed say they’re comfy staying in a resort, solely 61 p.c are comfy staying in various lodging. The highest 5 causes for staying in a resort embody consistency and predictability; security and privateness; handy location; availability of concierge, lounge, restaurant, and/or different facilities; and decrease price. By comparability, vacationers might select various lodging choices as they provide more room; family facilities; and an genuine or native expertise.
So, the place are these vacationers planning to go? Over half (54%) plan to go to the seaside—a preferred selection amongst 25 to 34 year-olds. The following almost definitely vacation spot (32%) is a metropolis / city location, adopted by a mountain / mountaineering journey (24%).
Loyalty is heating up
On this atmosphere of upper costs and elevated selection, efforts to keep up buyer loyalty are intensifying. However the survey exhibits that many vacationers, significantly the youthful era, do not feel they get sufficient worth from loyalty packages, or the packages appear too difficult.
There are some options of loyalty packages that matter greater than others: Providing reductions, having the precise footprint so visitors can keep the place they need to, and making it straightforward to redeem factors are the favorites.
ESG is gaining significance
Whereas 75 p.c of vacationers surveyed agree that sustainability is vital, solely half would pay additional for it. However youthful vacationers are much more prepared to pay additional for inexperienced initiatives. Such initiatives that at present resonate finest with visitors embody using eco-friendly cleansing provides; substitute of plastic key playing cards with options; lowered use of paper, e.g., digital receipts; and sensible home equipment and monitoring programs to optimize vitality utilization.
5 methods resorts may reply to those tendencies
- Encourage “bleisure” stays by highlighting native sights and occasions. With leisure booming and enterprise journey recovering, we count on to see an increase in bleisure journey.
- Assist visitors discover you after they’re researching their subsequent journey. Accommodations can put money into their on-line and social media presence to speak with potential visitors early on of their analysis. That is particularly vital as resorts face labor shortages and generally reduce on service ranges: talk transparently to ensure visitor expectations are set appropriately earlier than visitors set foot on property.
- In markets with heavy various lodging provide, talk differentiators. Accommodations can talk what makes them higher, particularly comfort, consistency, and out there facilities.
- Improve loyalty packages. Accommodations might must relook at their loyalty packages to ensure they’re addressing new wants, and serving to each frequent and rare visitors take advantage of out of their packages.
- Launch inexperienced initiatives with clear and constant visitor communication. Accommodations can take into consideration the best way to appeal to eco-conscious vacationers and construct significant relationships with them that can result in long-term loyalty.