SINGAPORE and REDWOOD Metropolis, Calif., Sept. 20, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Persevering with its endeavours to advance the sustainability of digital infrastructure and attain its native local weather impartial targets, aligned to science-primarily based mostly targets, by 2030, Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) these days introduced a partnership with the Centre for Vitality Examine & Technological know-how (CERT) beneath the Nationwide Faculty of Singapore’s (NUS) Greater training of Design and magnificence and Engineering to analyze applied sciences that assist the usage of hydrogen as a environmentally pleasant gasoline useful resource for mission-crucial information coronary heart infrastructure.
With one another, Equinix and CERT will launch the world’s to start out with investigation challenge to have a look at the efficiency of proton-trade membrane (PEM) gasoline cells and fuel-flexible linear generator programs. PEM fuel cells are a number one contender for hydrogen vitality, although gas-versatile linear turbines assist operators to easily change regarding a number of totally clear gasoline potentialities which embody hydrogen, biogas and a number of other renewable liquid fuels. Adoption of those programs may permit information amenities to lower carbon emissions whereas assembly the rising want for information, colocation and interconnection companies.
The exploration collaboration amongst Equinix and CERT will contain a holistic analysis of the suitability of those applied sciences for tropical data amenities, making an allowance for neighborhood climatic conditions, web site constraints, vitality need, supply chain, fuel storage skills as completely as space regulatory insurance coverage insurance policies.
This examine initiative comes beneath a Memorandum of Being accustomed to (MOU) signed beforehand this yr in regards to the two companions. Beneath the MOU, CERT will perform a in depth investigation of applied sciences found in collaboration with Equinix, to find out the operational viability of the programs at scale. Based mostly totally on the outcomes of the analysis, Equinix expects to construct evidence-of-idea initiatives inside its world community of details facilities for serious-world testing and to help incorporation into future information coronary heart patterns. By driving innovation in Singapore, the Equinix and CERT partnership goals to speed up disruptive applied sciences that may lower the carbon footprint of worldwide data amenities, particularly in tropical places.
This partnership varieties portion of Equinix’s Potential Preliminary method that underscores the corporate’s dedication to greening the digital total financial system. Eco-friendly hydrogen has been found as a possible supply of sustainable energy for information facilities. However, hydrogen know-how on an industrial scale stays varied many years away from getting commercially sensible, producing it important to judge and undertake alternate choices whilst world-wide examine and growth carries on.
Yee Might Leong, Dealing with Director, South Asia, Equinix
“Particulars facilities present because the conduit powering the digital financial system, and greening their features can drive the rise of sustainable enterprise all via the broader monetary panorama. Working with like-minded associates just like the Centre for Vitality Examine & Technological innovation at NUS empowers us with the blended encounter and skills to progress the event of digital economies in keeping with environmental obligations, benefiting the data heart market, worldwide economies, and the world.”
Affiliate Professor Lee Poh Seng, Director, Centre for Energy Evaluation and Engineering, NUS College of Design and magnificence and Engineering
“Sustainability is a vital pillar of the world extensive monetary state. To enhance the endeavours constructed by the general public sector, nicely timed progress additionally requires collaboration with stakeholders within the personal sector and academia. We’re eager to function with enterprise companions like Equinix, which is recognized for its sustainability makes an attempt and offers us entry to a worldwide community of details facilities that may present as a testbed for a much more precise analysis of operational viability. By means of this partnership, we glimpse ahead to collaborating in a driving place for eco-friendly information heart enhancements that can be utilized in Singapore and globally.”
Reaffirming Equinix’s dedication to constructing a extra sustainable potential for the setting, the corporate has been recognized with a bunch of sustainability awards all through the Asia-Pacific location. In 2022, Equinix was named Asia’s Inexperienced Group of the Yr on the Asia Firm Excellence & Sustainability Awards, the Singapore Knowledge Centre Providers Firm of the Yr by Frost & Sullivan, and obtained the Inexperienced Innovation Award below the MNC Class on the 2022 Singapore Environmental Achievement Awards.
Highlights / Essential Information:
- Lower than this partnership, Equinix and NUS CERT might be conducting a whole examination to evaluation two clear on-web web page electrical energy period programs for information facilities of the upcoming. These programs embody issues like:
- PEM fuel cells have gotten progressively frequent because of their means to ship electrical energy with hydrogen and oxygen. Some designs also can function the system in reverse to make pure hydrogen for upcoming use with simply h2o and electrical energy.
- Gasoline-adaptable linear turbines present the means to change regarding fuels like hydrogen, biogas and a number of other renewable liquid fuels, enabling the set up of infrastructure that may be merely tailored to evolving market developments, empowering companies with elevated agility.
- Equinix was the to start out with within the information coronary heart area to decide to turning out to be climate impartial, aligned to accredited science-dependent targets, for emissions discount throughout worldwide features and supply chain by 2030. As well as, Equinix proceeds to look at for on-site photo voltaic alternatives, onsite period from fuel cells, and some other dispersed minimal-carbon engineering that fits with its total technique.
- Equinix’s renewable electrical energy protection has been over 90% since 2018. In 2021, the agency completed 95% renewable vitality protection. Calendar year-about-12 months, Equinix has improved our procurement of renewables by 16% on a GWh-foundation.
- Earlier than this calendar 12 months, Equinix launched the opening of its initially Co-Innovation Facility (CIF), positioned in its DC15 World Enterprise Change™ (IBX®) data coronary heart on the Equinix Ashburn Campus within the Washington, D.C. area. The CIF is a element of its Information Coronary heart of the Future Initiative and is a brand new performance that enables modern companions to do the job with Equinix on trialing and constructing methodologies that could be used to help decide the way forward for digital infrastructure and companies.
Equinix (Nasdaq: EQIX) is the world’s digital infrastructure enterprise. Digital leaders harness Equinix’s trusted system to offer collectively and interconnect foundational infrastructure at software pace. Equinix permits organizations to entry all the suitable areas, companions and selections to scale with agility, pace the beginning of digital corporations, produce planet-course experiences and multiply their value, when supporting their sustainability ambitions.
This push launch is made up of ahead-hunting statements that contain pitfalls and uncertainties. Such ahead-on the lookout statements are based totally on present anticipations, like, however not confined to, statements pertaining to Equinix’s sustainability purpose and goals and the MOU with CERT. True closing outcomes might differ materially from expectations reviewed on this type of ahead-on the lookout statements. Variables which will nicely trigger these sorts of variances embody issues like, however usually are not constrained to, challenges to our small enterprise and functioning outcomes related to the COVID-19 pandemic the current inflationary pure surroundings worldwide foreign exchange commerce cost fluctuations enhanced expenditures to acquire electrical energy and the everyday volatility within the world vitality sector the issues of acquiring, functioning and establishing IBX and xScale® data facilities and establishing, deploying and delivering Equinix items and cures unanticipated bills or troubles referring to the combination of suppliers we’ve got obtained or will purchase into Equinix a failure to obtain sizeable revenues from consumers in a short time in the past created out or acquired details facilities failure to complete any funding preparations contemplated sometimes competitors from present and new opponents the power to generate sufficient revenue motion or usually obtain funds to repay new or wonderful indebtedness the loss or drop in group from our essential consumers dangers related to our taxation as a REIT and different hazards defined sometimes in Equinix filings with the Securities and Commerce Fee. In particular person, see new and approaching Equinix quarterly and once-a-year stories filed with the Securities and Commerce Price, copies of which can be found on ask for from Equinix. Equinix doesn’t suppose any obligation to replace the forward-wanting details contained on this push launch.
Useful resource Equinix, Inc.